HDF5 is a unique technology suite that makes possible the management of extremely large and complex data collections.
The HDF5 technology suite includes:
- A versatile data model that can represent very complex data objects and a wide variety of metadata.
- A completely portable file format with no limit on the number or size of data objects in the collection.
- A software library that runs on a range of computational platforms, from laptops to massively parallel systems, and implements a high-level API with C, C++, Fortran 90, and Java interfaces.
- A rich set of integrated performance features that allow for access time and storage space optimizations.
- Tools and applications for managing, manipulating, viewing, and analyzing the data in the collection.